The best salad I’ve ever eaten!!
I‘m not going to lie.... this salad inspiration came from a shop bought salad I had whilst out on the road for work. From the first bite, I was hooked and I didn’t want the salad to end! I was writing down all the things I found in the salad and decided I needed more in my life and 2 days later made my own version of it.
Seriously, this salad is ridiculously good! I am a HUGE fan of Stilton but even if you weren’t, I think this salad would work with a multitude of cheeses. A Wensleydale, mature cheddar cheese or even a goats cheese would work!
I have a feeling I’ll be making this salad a LOT in the future and I hope you love it as much as I do!
STILTON, SQUASH AND BEETROOT SALAD
1 small butternut squash
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
Freshly ground salt and pepper
2 beetroot, sliced
Pre-cooked Quinoa and lentil packet (I used a
100g Stilton (I used creamy Saint Agur
1 Apples, cored and sliced
Pecans or Walnuts
Maple mustard dressing:
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
First, roast the butternut squash:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan).
2. Slice the top and bottom off the butternut squash. Peel the squash carefully using a peeler or a small sharp knife. Slice in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds.
3. Slice the squash width-ways into 1-2cm thick slices. Place on a baking tray and drizzle with oil before seasoning with salt and pepper. Ensure all the slices are evenly coated and then roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, turning the slices halfway.
Meanwhile, make the dressing:
4. Add all the dressing ingredients to a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until combined. Season to taste if required.
Assemble the salad:
5. In a large bowl, add the salad leaves. Add a pile of the lentil and quinoa mix on one side.
6. On top of the leaves, scatter the sliced beetroot, sliced apples and Stilton. Add your extras (nuts, seeds or cranberries) as desired!
7. Top with the warm toasted butternut squash and a drizzle of the Maple mustard dressing. Then eat!!