Cherry Chocolate Baked Oatmeal
Updated: May 12
You just can’t go wrong with oats for breakfast. My whole life does revolve around where my next meal is coming from and prepping breakfast is crucial for sustaining my morale for the week. Between baked oatmeal or overnight oats, I can prep a whole week of breakfasts in the time it takes me to boil a kettle and finish a morning coffee. One lot of prep, 4 breakfasts sorted.
Any excuse for me to have chocolate for breakfast is a total win! A cherry chocolate combo is just perfect and this is also not overly sweet with the use of raw cacao powder and natural sweetness from maple syrup and a splash of vanilla. Serves warm from the oven, there is a brownie-like feel to this breakfast and I’m completely fine with that!
Cherry, Chocolate and Almond Baked Oatmeal
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
80g frozen cherries, chopped in half
500ml milk of choice (almond milk is great!)
200g porridge oats
3 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp cocoa nibs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g sliced almonds plus a few extra for topping
2 tbsp maple syrup
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C (fan assist).
2. Mix together all the ingredients in a mixing bowl until fully combined.
3. Lightly grease a 20cm square roasting dish and pour the chocolate oatmeal mix into the dish. Scatter with extra almond flakes
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through (it should be soft to touch with a crack across the top).
5. Serve fresh out the oven with extra cherries, Greek yoghurt and flaked almonds.
6. This will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days for breakfasts for the week! It’s great re-warmed in the microwave for a comforting breakfast!