Energy balls have been something I’ve been meaning to try for absolutely ages. I’ve seen a boom of companies producing these for sale in shops and am absolutely mortified about how expensive they are- for three little balls!! I’m telling you now that this batch (cost per gram) of ingredients will cost you the same and makes 20.
If you had to buy all the ingredients you'd have enough for 10 batches which will still save you money if you’ve ever bought those expensive packets of bliss/energy balls from the shops. If you made lots of these, you can freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. Pop a few out each day, leave to defrost for 30-60 minutes and you’re good to go.
Packed with nutritious ingredients, these are vegan friendly, wheat free (gluten free if you use the right oats) and free from refined sugars. They are quite calorie dense at around 80 calories per ball which is a great, low volume energy snack to pick you up before a training session (Or just because you’re peckish!). Wht not give them a go?
Carrot Cake Energy Balls
200g grated carrot (1 1/2 carrots)
90g mixed seeds
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
100g desiccated coconut (for coating)
1. Add all the ingredients (except the coconut) to a blender and blitz until combined (you want a bit of texture, not a smooth purée!)
2. Using a tablespoon, measure out equal size pieces of mixture and roll into balls.
3. Roll in the desiccated coconut and place on a baking tray.
4. Pop in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up!
5. You can freeze these in an airtight container for up to three months!